Skip to main content

The Blue Man of Spring Creek

The legend of "The Blue Man of Spring Creek" has been circulating throughout the Ozarks of Douglas County, Missouri, since the times of the Civil War. Those familiar with the legend will note the striking similarities to Bigfoot. However, since the "Blue Man" predates most North American accounts of Bigfoot and Sasquatch, could it be possible that this mysterious creature was the true "missing link"? Might the "Blue Man" possibly be the patriarch of all Bigfoots?

The legend can trace its roots back to the winter of 1865, when a hunter named Sol Collins stood on the ridge between Big North Fork and Spring Creek. Collins, an experienced and expert hunter, was following wild game tracks in the snow and came upon a track he had never seen before. It was similar to that of a bear, but longer and much broader, and imprinted in the snow were marks indicating long, deadly claws.
Assuming he had stumbled across the tracks of the biggest bear in Ozark history, Collins tirelessly followed the footprints for hours, following the tracks north to Indian Creek and then westward, until he completed a great semi-circle and found himself above the Big North Fork. As he climbed up the north slope of Upper Twin Mountain he heard a noise on the hillside above him. It was a boulder tumbling down the hillside, and Collins jumped out of the path of the enormous rock just in time to save his own life.

As he sheltered himself behind a tree, a second boulder followed, and then a third. The last boulder struck a nearby tree with such tremendous force that it shattered into splinters. The startled hunter peered from behind his shelter and saw something that made the blood in his veins run cold. There, on the hillside, towered a gigantic humanoid figure, stark naked except for an animal skin around its waist. The creature was covered in a tightly curled coat of black hair, so dark that it almost appeared to have a bluish tint in the sunlight. Collins estimated that the creature was at least nine feet in height. The creature was said to be carrying a ten foot long wooden club.

According to Collins, the creature put down the club and picked up another gigantic boulder, which he hurled at Collins with deadly force. The giant then made the hills echo with an ear-splitting scream, more terrifying than anything Collins had ever heard before. Collins, a grizzled veteran of the Civil War, was not a man given to cowardice, but after the monster screamed, he took to his heels and fled for his life.

Upon returning home, Collins gathered several friends and neighbors and spent the following several days tracking down the giant. The posse caught glimpse of the creature time and time again, but the giant sped through the woods with a deftness and speed which the hunters could not match. The hunt continued for nearly three weeks.

In the following days and weeks, the creature was seen by numerous witnesses and its blood-curdling yell was heard by many more. Farmers began noticing that they were missing sheep and pigs, and some of them claimed to have found bloody fragments of their lost animals scattered throughout the woods. Thus was born the legend of the Blue Man.

Sightings were scarce over the next nine years but, in the fall of 1874, word spread throughout the county that the Blue Man had returned. Livestock once again went missing and hunters assembled search parties in a vain attempt to track down the frightening beast. The Blue Man's reign of terror lasted about a week, and then he disappeared as suddenly and mysteriously as before.

In August of 1915, Douglas County once again erupted in a wave of Blue Man sightings. As usual, the creature was said to lurk the hillsides along Big North Fork, Indian and Spring Creeks. However, this time witnesses observed that the creature's blue-black coat was now iron gray, leading locals to believe that the creature did not have much longer to live. "In the course of nature, the Blue Man cannot be expected to live much longer," proclaimed the Moberly Weekly Monitor on August 10, 1915. "Whether he ever will be caught or whether the secret of his long absence and mysterious returns will ever be solved is doubtful".
While Bigfoot sightings throughout the Ozarks continue to the present day, the original boulder-hurling "Blue Man of Spring Creek" seems to have disappeared after 1915. Might this legendary creature have been the father, grandfather, or even great-grandfather of the Bigfoot-like creatures being spotted in the Ozarks today? 

Popular posts from this blog

The Incest Capital of the World?

At the far eastern edge of Kentucky, nestled in Appalachia, resides Letcher County. In spite of its isolation and poverty (approximately 30% of the county's population lives below the poverty line), Letcher County has managed to grow at an impressive rate, from a population of just 9,172 in 1900 to a present-day population of nearly 25,000. However, even if Letcher County tripled or quadrupled its present population, there's still a pretty good chance that virtually all of the county's inhabitants would be related to each other-- thanks to one particularly fertile family whose astounding rate of reproduction can put even the friskiest rabbit to shame.

Around the year 1900, Letcher County was the home of a man by the name of Jason L. Webb, who made national headlines for having the one of the largest families in the world. According to newspaper reports of the era, Jason had 19 children, 175 grandchildren, and 100 great-grandchildren. Perhaps even more impressive was his b…

The Ticking Tombstone of Landenberg

If you look closely at a map of Pennsylvania, you'll see an anomalous semi-circular border at the extreme southeastern part of the state. This circle, known officially as the "Twelve Mile Circle", serves as the border between the Keystone State and Delaware. Much of the strange circle is surrounded by Chester County, one of the three original Pennsylvania counties created by William Penn in 1682. While there are many historical points of interest in Chester County, few are strange or as steeped in legend as the Ticking Tombstone.

Near the London Tract Meeting House in Landenberg is an old graveyard which contains a tombstone which is said to make eerie ticking noises, much like the ticking of a pocketwatch. Landenberg locals claim that the ticking is the result of two very famous surveyors who arrived in town during the 1760s- Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon.  A young child supposedly swallowed a valuable pocketwatch owned by Mason and later died, and the boy's head…

Jenny Hanivers, Mermaids, Devil Fish, and Sea Monks

Three centuries before P.T. Barnum attracted flocks of crowds with his mummified Fiji Mermaid (which turned out to be a papier-mâché creation featuring a monkey's head and a fish's body), sailors around the world had already began manufacturing "mermaids".  Known as Jenny Hanivers, these creations were often sold to tourists and provided sailors with an additional source of income.  These mummified creatures were produced by drying, carving, and then varnishing the carcasses of fish belonging to the order rajiformes- a group of flattened cartilaginous fish related to the shark which includes stingrays and skates.  These preserved carcasses can be made to resemble mermaids, dragons, angels, demons, and other mythical creatures.

Jenny Hanivers became popular in the mid-16th century, when sailors around the Antwerp docks began selling the novelties to tourists.  This practice was so common  in the Belgian city that it may have influenced the name; it is widely believed …