Skip to main content

Haunted Newport: The House that Refused to Keep Quiet

One of Newport's many Gilded Age mansions

 "And ever since then, when the clock strikes two,
She walks unbidden from room to room.
And the air is filled that she passes through
With a subtle, sad perfume."

So ends a poem by 19th century author Bret Harte, who chose the above words to describe a haunted house in Newport, Rhode Island.

Since the age of railroad tycoons and steel barons, the coastal city of Newport has been the resort town of choice for the upper crust of American society. The likes of the Vanderbilts and Astors built their mammoth "summer cottages" there, and the city of Newport also boasts a strong naval and military heritage dating back to Colonial times.

With its long naval history, it is not surprising that many of our nation's top admirals and naval commanders have called Newport home. In the early 20th century, the city was home to a Navy hero by the name of Hugh Sweeney. In December of 1905, Sweeney became a national celebrity after he sailed the heavily-damaged gunboat Wasp safely into Newport Harbor.

Although Sweeney's accomplishment in itself has very little bearing on the rest of this story, it's worth telling. The Wasp, under the command of Chief Boatswain Hugh Sweeney, was ordered to render assistance to the brig Henry Smith, which had been caught in a gale and was in distress off the coast of Martha's Vineyard.

This was easier said than done, since the Wasp only had one functioning boiler. But since it was the only vessel close enough to reach the sinking Henry Smith, Sweeney piloted the boat into the heart of the storm in order to save whatever lives he could. By nightfall the Wasp, manned entirely by inexperienced apprentice sailors, reached a point known as No Man's Land, and Sweeney decided to remain there until morning in the hope of riding out the storm.

Unfortunately for Sweeney, the storm gathered strength and the Wasp was buffeted by dangerous icy waves and 70-mile-per-hour winds. The Wasp was taking on water. Sweeney ordered his men to the bilge pump, only to discover that it-- much like everything else on the tiny ship-- wasn't working properly. There was nothing left to do but bring out the buckets and start bailing by hand. After four hours, all hope appeared lost. The engine was dead and the Wasp was sinking. Sweeney fired off his distress rockets, but no help came.
Sweeney had no choice but to turn back and make a desperate attempt to reach Newport before the gunboat sank. With its steam engine dead and lifeless, the gunboat drifted back safely at the rate of two knots per hour (roughly the same speed as an Olympic short-distance swimmer). Miraculously, no lives were lost.

Yet, while letters of praise and admiration poured in from around the country, the private home life of Hugh Sweeney was turning into a living hell; the hero of the Wasp happened lived in one of Newport's most haunted houses.

The troubles began in late July of 1906, when the Sweeneys began hearing a mysterious knocking coming from between the walls of their rented home on Church Street. His family begged him to call the police. Patrolmen arrived a few minutes later and heard the strange rapping sounds for themselves, and the knocks appeared to be emanating from every room in the house. The officers spent an hour trying to solve the mystery, but left the Sweeney home completely baffled.

With each passing day the knocking became louder and angrier; Hugh Sweeney's terror-stricken children found it impossible to sleep. On July 29, Colonel Jeremiah Horton, who was president of the police commission-- as well as the owner of the property-- decided to take drastic measures. He ordered some of the walls torn down but, to his surprise, could not find anything that would account for the terrifying sounds.
The really odd part, however, was that the unseen knockers seemed to be communicating with each other. If a series of three quick, short raps were heard in one room, an identical series of three quick, short raps would come in response from another room.

Trinity Church graveyard, directly across the street from Sweeney's house

And it wasn't just the Sweeneys were were driven to the brink of insanity by the maddening knocks. The upstairs tenants, Mrs. Sarah Muenchinger and her two young daughters, were also plagued by the home's unseen inhabitants. The police, suspecting that one of the two families might be playing a prank upon the other, gathered up all of the members of both households and quarantined them in a single room. But still the knocks continued throughout the entire property, from the basement to the attic.

The house on Church Street became a tourist attraction of sorts; hundreds of people from the Newport area gathered outside the Sweeney home each day. Many reported that they had been able to hear the knocking from across the street where, incidentally, one of New England's oldest graveyards can be found, adjacent to the historic Trinity Church, which was built in 1698.

Sadly, the heroic commander of the Wasp died less than years later at the Naval Hospital in Boston of abdominal cancer. Perhaps in death the brave boatswain finally discovered what, or who, had been tormenting him in life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Incest Capital of the World?

At the far eastern edge of Kentucky, nestled in Appalachia, resides Letcher County. In spite of its isolation and poverty (approximately 30% of the county's population lives below the poverty line), Letcher County has managed to grow at an impressive rate, from a population of just 9,172 in 1900 to a present-day population of nearly 25,000. However, even if Letcher County tripled or quadrupled its present population, there's still a pretty good chance that virtually all of the county's inhabitants would be related to each other-- thanks to one particularly fertile family whose astounding rate of reproduction can put even the friskiest rabbit to shame.

Around the year 1900, Letcher County was the home of a man by the name of Jason L. Webb, who made national headlines for having the one of the largest families in the world. According to newspaper reports of the era, Jason had 19 children, 175 grandchildren, and 100 great-grandchildren. Perhaps even more impressive was his b…

The Ticking Tombstone of Landenberg

If you look closely at a map of Pennsylvania, you'll see an anomalous semi-circular border at the extreme southeastern part of the state. This circle, known officially as the "Twelve Mile Circle", serves as the border between the Keystone State and Delaware. Much of the strange circle is surrounded by Chester County, one of the three original Pennsylvania counties created by William Penn in 1682. While there are many historical points of interest in Chester County, few are strange or as steeped in legend as the Ticking Tombstone.

Near the London Tract Meeting House in Landenberg is an old graveyard which contains a tombstone which is said to make eerie ticking noises, much like the ticking of a pocketwatch. Landenberg locals claim that the ticking is the result of two very famous surveyors who arrived in town during the 1760s- Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon.  A young child supposedly swallowed a valuable pocketwatch owned by Mason and later died, and the boy's head…

Jenny Hanivers, Mermaids, Devil Fish, and Sea Monks

Three centuries before P.T. Barnum attracted flocks of crowds with his mummified Fiji Mermaid (which turned out to be a papier-mâché creation featuring a monkey's head and a fish's body), sailors around the world had already began manufacturing "mermaids".  Known as Jenny Hanivers, these creations were often sold to tourists and provided sailors with an additional source of income.  These mummified creatures were produced by drying, carving, and then varnishing the carcasses of fish belonging to the order rajiformes- a group of flattened cartilaginous fish related to the shark which includes stingrays and skates.  These preserved carcasses can be made to resemble mermaids, dragons, angels, demons, and other mythical creatures.

Jenny Hanivers became popular in the mid-16th century, when sailors around the Antwerp docks began selling the novelties to tourists.  This practice was so common  in the Belgian city that it may have influenced the name; it is widely believed …